Huge load average on mail server

John Fox jjf at mind.net
Wed Jul 23 14:37:47 PDT 2003

I recently became responsible for our mail server, and lately, the load
average on the thing has been running consistently high, in mid-20's to
mid-30's.  And at the same time, sendmail has become extremely sluggish
in terms of responding to connections on port 25.

There's got to be a bottleneck somewhere, but my experience leaves me
ill-equipped to seek it out.

What procedures would folks recommend for me to follow in order to try and
determine the problem?

Thank you,

john