FBSD PowerPak

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Jul 20 06:35:16 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 09:09:07PM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
> I posted a message a few days ago regarding my frustrations to obtain an
> up-to-date PowerPak for FreeBSD 5.1. Because I don't have broadband, I
> really would like to have the entire ports collection on CD-R.
> Unfortunately, the PowerPak sold by FreeBSDmall is version 4.6, a full
> year (and four versions) out of date.
>
> Since I posted that message, one kind member of this list contacted me
> and offered to attempt to create a homemade PowerPak by downloading the
> distfiles and burning them to CD-R.
>
> So, (forgive the pun) the burning question:
>
> Exactly what directory from Freebsd servers should one download to
> create a PowerPak?

"A PowerPak" doesn't really mean anything.  The question is what do
you want.

> Perhaps the distfile directory? The gentlemen who
> volunteered to do this isn't exactly sure, and I'm pretty clueless. I
> assume there are no ready-made ISO files for producing a PowerPak, so
> what would be the best procedure?

The distfiles directory contains most of the distfiles that have been
associated to every version of the ports collection going back several
years.  It's unlikely you want all that.  Unfortunately there's no
easy way to only obtain only the distfiles for the current ports
collection (unless your volunteer wants to fetch them all himself,
about 12-15GB worth).  Instead you might like to just grab the full
package set, which runs to about 7.2GB on i386 for the latest 4.x set.

Kris