Multi-OS Boot Question

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 16 10:01:42 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:14:30 +1000, "Adam King" <aking at lgh.com.au> said:
> Sorry, here's a better link:
> http://www.informit.com/content/index.asp?product_id=%7B7309E848-0A1E-475A-A1CD-17B5462B1564%7D&062903

Yes, you're quite right about the statement from Tiemann-Urban (whom I'd
have expected to know better - glad I bought The Complete FreeBSD by Greg
Lehey rather than their book!) and I presume also about the sysinstall
documentation.  I found an additional case of the same in section 3.19 of
the FAQ on FreeBSD's web site.

However, look at the following from section 3.19 of the FAQ: "Note that
this is a limitation in the PC's BIOS, not FreeBSD."  The statement is
simply (far) out of date: "modern" BIOSes haven't had the 1024 cylinder
limit for years.  I personally haven't had a system with FreeBSD
installed *below* the 1024 cylinder limit for something like a couple of
years.  (Before my current RAID array, it was installed on the 2nd half
of a 40GB drive; before that, on the second half of a 20GB drive.)

So - install as you like, no worries.  Any problems, write back and tell
me I'm an idiot.  ;)

Jud

P.S. Please post below rather than on top of the message you're replying
to - helps readability, especially in long threads.