name all the uses for samba

Daniel Bye dan at slightlystrange.org
Fri Jul 11 17:40:24 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:02:14AM -0700, Kurt wrote:
> It's going to take some real work to get it to replace the Win2k AD
> infrastructure if that's what you have. OTOH, if you are using the NT4
> domain infrastructure, it's supposed to work well (haven't implemented
> it, but here's a link if you want it:
> http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/esdd/tutorials/samba.html.)
>
> Firewalling, email serving and other non-SMB based stuff is not really
> covered by SAMBA, although FreeBSD can certainly do all that.
>
> Other than Active Directory, the only really difficult thing to replace
> will be your Exchange server, if you have one, and if you use it for
> groupware stuff, or for group calendaring, especially with Outlook
> clients. There may be acceptable group calendaring apps that are
> acceptable, but I haven't run into them yet, and the groupware just
> isn't there yet, from what I've seen.

If the group contacts and calendaring are important in your organisation,
check out Bynari Insight Connector at http://www.bynari.net/index.php?id=7.
My company has just deployed it on a Windows network for a major customer,
and the initial reaction is very positive.  It emulates the Exchange
groupware stuff using simple IMAP4 format mailboxes, or LDAP directories.

The server side is FreeBSD 4.8, with Cyrus IMAPd, OpenLDAP, MySQL, Exim,
Horde/IMP, Apache with mod_php and mod_perl, and Mailman.  All of which, of
course, are free and of proven reliability and functionality.  And all in
the ports.  Realistically, all you'd need would be an SMTP server, an IMAP
server, and possibly an LDAP server.  Our solution also includes mailing
lists and webmail, adding to the overall complexity, but I feel a whole lot
happier looking after it all on a FreeBSD box, than I would on a Windows
box.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \