name all the uses for samba

Kurt kurtbuff at spro.net
Fri Jul 11 11:02:22 PDT 2003

It's going to take some real work to get it to replace the Win2k AD
infrastructure if that's what you have. OTOH, if you are using the NT4
domain infrastructure, it's supposed to work well (haven't implemented
it, but here's a link if you want it:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/esdd/tutorials/samba.html.)

Firewalling, email serving and other non-SMB based stuff is not really
covered by SAMBA, although FreeBSD can certainly do all that.

Other than Active Directory, the only really difficult thing to replace
will be your Exchange server, if you have one, and if you use it for
groupware stuff, or for group calendaring, especially with Outlook
clients. There may be acceptable group calendaring apps that are
acceptable, but I haven't run into them yet, and the groupware just
isn't there yet, from what I've seen.