Backing up programs

Dany dany_list at natzo.com
Wed Dec 31 11:03:44 PST 2003

Francisco Reyes wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Dany wrote:
>

>>On my file server I have 2 drives.
>>

>I also have two drives on each of my machines. One for backup.
>I also keep several days worth of backups in case I corrupt a file.
>Overall I think I have the data part of the backup covered properly,
>although I plan to backup some directories every few hours instead of
>daily.
>

>>- Unison :  2-way synchronization using rsync/ssh, multi platform
>>graphical interface.
>>

>I use unison to backup data from a remote machine to my local machine,
>

>>- rsync :  typical rsync that will mirror the source to the destination
>>

>Why use both unison and rsync? Unison can do the same as rsync.

Because it's one-way, so no worries about conflicts. I know I'm not
supposed to change the destination files but I like to use a one-way
backup solution.

>>- rsync-backup : it's based on rsync but you get the advantage of
>>incremental backups so you can restore from a specific date. You can
>>also purge the backup by removing old stuff.
>>

>Will look it up.

I made two mistakes in my description.

First the tool is call  rdiff-backup (and not rsync-backup which also
exists) :  http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/index.html
Secondly, for the OS, I also use rdiff-backup and not rsync so I have a
fast, space efficient, incremental backup of the OS too !

PS:  On the same web page you will also find a link to another tool call
duplicity (http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/duplicity.html).  You can do
remote backup but in that case the image can be stored on a remote FTP
server and encrypted with GPG... sweet if you're planning to use the
disk space of your ISP for backups!

Cheers
Dany