Soekris machines

jan.muenther at nruns.com jan.muenther at nruns.com
Wed Dec 31 10:07:24 PST 2003

Howdy,

> In particular how did you communicate with the machine? Do I need a null
> modem cable? Which program you used and settings? From the ports it seems
> minicom may do the trick.
It's been a while, but I played with one of those boxes during our
(ir-)regular C0d3 & b33r sessions.
The console was set up to use 9600bps, 8N1 - so you could either connect
with minicom, or with cu, as I usually, since it's there by default.
Naturally, you'll need a null modem cable, yes.

cu -s 9600 -l /dev/cuaa[0-9] usually does the trick for me.

> If using the CF card in the machine how did you find out what was the
> device name of your USB writer. I blew up my primary HD MBR trying to
> write the image of M0n0wall. Didn't loose almost any data due to my
> nightly backups, but want to find out the right way to do it on a less
> painfull way. :-)

Isn't that handled like umass devices are usually handled, meaning it's
reachable as /dev/da* ?

Cheers, J.