fbsd4.9 sendmail

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 07:46:26 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 03:27:00PM +0000, Feroz F. Basir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody ever setup "smart host" using sendmail before?
> This is on fbsd4.9. I edit sendmail.cf file and edit
> line:
>
> DSmail.domain.com

It's better to edit the `hostname`.mc file and then process that into
a sendmail.cf otherwise you run the risk of overwriting your
customized .cf file when you do a {build,install}world cycle.

Just change the line:

    dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')

into

   define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.domain.com')

and run 'make install restart-mta'

> Restart sendmail and nothing happen. I keep getting
> (host map: lookup (domain.com): deferred) error. Do I
> need to do anything? I try on other unix system and I
> got it to work. Very strange. I want my main smtp
> server send the email from fbsd box.

You've changed the sendmail config just fine.  What you need to do now
is investigate why your machine isn't finding 'mail.domain.com' in the
DNS.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way