Vinum error "Can't initialize drive a: Invalid argument"

Bob Collins bobc at anything-inc.com
Fri Dec 19 10:25:59 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003, Marc Smits wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running FreeBSD-4.7-realease and want to create a striped plex from
> 2 new 80Gb disks.
>
> Here's my vinum-description:
>  drive a device /dev/ad2s1e
>  drive b device /dev/ad3s1e
>  volume stripe0
>  plex org striped 256k
>  sd length 78159m drive a
>  sd length 78159m drive b
>
> When I run 'vinum create vinum.conf' The message I get is:
>     1: drive a device /dev/ad2s1e
>  ** 1 Can't initialize drive a: Invalid argument
>     2: drive b device /dev/ad3s1e
>  ** 2 Can't initialize drive b: Invalid argument
>  0 drives:
>  1 volumes:
>  V stripe0               State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:
> 152GB
>
>  1 plexes:
>  P stripe0.p0          S State: faulty   Subdisks:     2 Size:
> 152GB
>
>  2 subdisks:
>  S stripe0.p0.s0         State: crashed  PO:        0  B Size:
> 76GB
>  S stripe0.p0.s1         State: crashed  PO:      256 kB Size:
> 76GB
>
> I used sysinstall to fdisk and label the partitions.
>
> What do need to do diffrent to get vinum to use the partitions?

Did you disklabel the slices to be of type vinum? I had a similar
trouble due to the fact I had labeled the disks as BSD4.0 or some such.
Once you have the disks labeled, you have to disklabel -d ad2 I think
and change the label to `vinum' without the single quotes.

Also, do you have a mount point /a and /b ?

--
Bob