frustration

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Dec 16 17:26:51 PST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, richard michael bagstad wrote:

> i find this frustrating.  on your website (page
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-
> using.html)  the following tells me that 'from cd' and 'from internet'
> are exactly the same...  it does not tell me the directory of (ie.)
> lsof.  it simply tells me to 'make install'.  please help a poor green
> newbie.

The difference they are talking about is after you've given the
'make install' command in /usr/ports/sysutils/lsof.

The ports system looks for the distfile in /usr/ports/distfiles.  If
you've already copied the distfile in there manually (from a CD or
someplace else), it proceeds to build the port.

The "internet version" is where it doesn't find the distfile in
/usr/ports/distfiles.  Then it uses your net connection to find one and
download it.