frustration

richard michael bagstad aeshmadeva at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 16:52:33 PST 2003

i find this frustrating.  on your website (page
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-
using.html)  the following tells me that 'from cd' and 'from internet'
are exactly the same...  it does not tell me the directory of (ie.)
lsof.  it simply tells me to 'make install'.  please help a poor green
newbie.

4.5.2.1 Installing Ports from a CD-ROM

The FreeBSD Project's official CD-ROM images no longer include
distfiles. They take up a lot of room that is better used for
precompiled packages. CD-ROM products such as the FreeBSD PowerPak do
include distfiles, and you can order these sets from a vendor such as
the FreeBSD Mall . This section assumes you have such a FreeBSD CD-ROM
set.

Place your FreeBSD CD-ROM in the drive. Mount it on /cdrom . (If you
use a different mount point, the install will not work.) To begin,
change to the directory for the port you want to install:
#cd /usr/ports/sysutils/lsof

Once inside the lsof directory, you will see the port skeleton. The
next step is to compile, or ``build'', the port. This is done by simply
typing make at the prompt. Once you have done so, you should see
something like this:
#make >> lsof_4.57D.freebsd.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in
/usr/ports/distfiles/.
 >> Attempting to fetch from file:/cdrom/ports/distfiles/.
===>  Extracting for lsof-4.57
[extraction output snipped]
 >> Checksum OK for lsof_4.57D.freebsd.tar.gz.
===>  Patching for lsof-4.57
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for lsof-4.57
===>  Configuring for lsof-4.57
[configure output snipped]
===>  Building for lsof-4.57
[compilation output snipped]
... #

Notice that once the compile is complete you are returned to your
prompt. The next step is to install the port. In order to install it,
you simply need to tack one word onto the make command, and that word
is install :
#make install ===>  Installing for lsof-4.57
[installation output snipped]
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>   Compressing manual pages for lsof-4.57
===>   Registering installation for lsof-4.57
===>  SECURITY NOTE:
       This port has installed the following binaries which execute with
       increased privileges. #

Once you are returned to your prompt, you should be able to run the
application you just installed. Since lsof is a program that runs with
increased privileges, a security warning is shown. During the building
and installation of ports, you should take heed of any other warnings
that may appear.

Note: You can save an extra step by just running make install instead
of make and make install as two separate steps.

Note: Some shells keep a cache of the commands that are available in
the directories listed in the PATH environment variable, to speed up
lookup operations for the executable file of these commands. If you are
using one of these shells, you might have to use the rehash command
after installing a port, before the newly installed commands can be
used. This is true for both shells that are part of the base-system
(such as tcsh ) and shells that are available as ports (for instance,
shells/zsh ).

Note: Please be aware that the licenses of a few ports do not allow for
inclusion on the CD-ROM. This could be because a registration form
needs to be filled out before downloading or redistribution is not
allowed, or for another reason. If you wish to install a port not
included on the CD-ROM, you will need to be online in order to do so
(see the next section ).

4.5.2.2 Installing Ports from the Internet

As with the last section, this section makes an assumption that you
have a working Internet connection. If you do not, you will need to
perform the CD-ROM installation , or put a copy of the distfile into
/usr/ports/distfiles manually.

Installing a port from the Internet is done exactly the same way as it
would be if you were installing from a CD-ROM. The only difference
between the two is that the distfile is downloaded from the Internet
instead of read from the CD-ROM.

The steps involved are identical:
#make install >> lsof_4.57D.freebsd.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in
/usr/ports/distfiles/.
 >> Attempting to fetch from
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
Receiving lsof_4.57D.freebsd.tar.gz (439860 bytes): 100%
439860 bytes transferred in 18.0 seconds (23.90 kBps)