Email problem

Josh Paetzel friar_josh at tcbug.org
Mon Dec 15 12:15:58 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 12:03:23PM -0800, samy lancher wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have 4.5 freebsd server with apache, php and mysql. i wrote a simple php program using mail(). The mail() function returns true without any error. but the problem is the email is never delivered. I viewed the log file for mail(/var/log/maillog) and i saw the following error:
>
> Server sendmail[351]:NOQUEUE:SYSERR(www):can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied.
>
> I would be really thankful if someone could tell me where i am doing wrong.
> In php.ini, i have set sendmail_path = "/usr/sbin/sendmail".
>
> thanks in advance.
> Naveen.

In PHP, mail() will always return true as long as it was able to successfully
communicate with the mailserver.  As you have seen, that has very little to do
with whether or not your email will go through correctly or not. ;)

Your error is coming because sendmail runs setuid, in this case to www, and
www doesn't have write permissions to /var/spool/clientmqueue.

Josh Paetzel