growfs on /

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Sat Dec 13 08:45:11 PST 2003

> Hey all...
>
> Have FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE, and I've run out of space on the slice /
>
> I really want to avoid having to backup and reformat, or doing anything
> that's super-time-intensive - from reading various posts and blogs
> related to FreeBSD, it appears to me that I can resolve my issue by
> using growfs - the next slice after / is /tmp which has plenty of room
> free, and can afford to be reduced by a little. It doesn't seem to be
> affecting system use except that I can't add new users.
>
> Here's what I look like now:
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    128990  127682    -9010   108%    /
> /dev/ad0s1f    257998    1254   236106     1%    /tmp
> /dev/ad0s1g  18359694 4955608 11935312    29%    /usr
> /dev/ad0s1e    257998    8400   228960     4%    /var
> procfs              4       4        0   100%    /proc
>
> I understand the process in general, but am a little afraid of hosing
> the box in the process; most of the stuff I've seen assumes a greater
> familiarity with tools like disklabel than I have. Does anyone know of
> a step-by-step tutorial or article on doing this? If not, would anyone
> be so kind as to give me a high-level breakdown?
>
> Alternatively, if anyone knows how I can free up some space in /
> perhaps by moving something to another slice, I'd be open to that
> possibility.

That is what your first choice should be.
Us du(1) to find out which directories are taking up the space.
  cd /
  du -sk *        will give you a useful list.

It may be possible to move one or more of them to another slice
and make a soft link to it.    But, most of the things in root
have to be there instead of somewhere else.   You already have
the biggies somewhere else (/tmp, /usr, /var).   Some of the
remaining directories may have extra junk left over from some
stuff that could well be deleted.   A frequent culprit is home
directories for root accounts.   If you are doing a bunch of
development, they can accumulate a lot of junk.

I wouldn't even consider growfs until after cleaning stuff up and
would not be confidant of using it on root anyway.

////jerry