Adelphia at home and NAT...

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Wed Dec 10 16:46:48 PST 2003

I have Adelphia Cable also and this is how it works. They use DHCP
to issue dynamic ip addresses to their cable modem. The ip address
does not change unless you power off the cable modem or there is an
power outage in your area. Use ifconfig command to display info
about your interfaces (IE: Nic cards), the Nic card cabled from FBSD
gateway to cable modem will have an public IP address assigned by
Adelphia. Write down that ip address, when at work use ssh to login
at that ip address and you will go to your home machine. If you have
web server on your FBSD system you can just use IP address in
ms/windows internet browser to access your home apache server.

Your other question about using 'dynamic DNS for home computers' has
been answered many times in this list. You need to do your home work
to earn your strips by first searching this lists archives for you
answers.