Stupid vinum questions

Alexander Haderer alexander.haderer at charite.de
Wed Dec 10 09:07:12 PST 2003

At 17:57 10.12.2003 +0100, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
>I have got some old and small SCSI harddisks left.
>1) Can I use vinum to make them look like one big ufs slice (or
>    is it more like a partition, which can be sliced)?
Its like a partition/partitions that you newfs and mount like:
     mount /dev/vinum/bigdrive /lotofdisks

>2) Can I boot from such a thing, or do I need a seperate disk?

This depends which version of FreeBSD you are using. Older versions need
some tricks, but there is a doc in /usr/share/doc/en/articles/vinum/ which
descibes how to setup this. I am not sure, but 4.9R and/or 5.1R may be able
to boot directly via vinum.

    man 4 vinum
    man 8 vinum
    http://www.vinumvm.org/

>3) Is there some fine manual around, that could be used as a
>    starting point for reading? (I had a look at at my copy of
>    "The Complete FreeBSD", but I guess I wouldn't ask these
>    questions, if I had understood it.)

See above, plus FreeBSD handbook

Alexander