fsck not recognizing vinum filesystem type

DAVID THOMPSON ThompsDa at 1stnational.com
Tue Dec 9 10:08:59 PST 2003

Hello all...

I am a relatively new FreeBSD user and I have never posted a request
for help before so I hope I am doing this right and not plugging up the
board with irrelevant and out of context questions. My apologies if I
am. Here is my problem:

I have vinum installed on my FreeBSD 5.1-Release box. Vinum starts and
runs fine, but I can't fsck any of the volumes because it says...

"fsck: Could not determine filesystem type."

If I do a fsck -T ufs /dev/vinum/??? it will work fine, but it's when I
don't explicity tell fsck what the filesystem type is that I get this
error. Everything relating to vinum seems to work fine and the
configuration is identical to the one I made at work (that works) except
that the server at work is a 5.0 box. This wouldn't be a big deal, but
when the server recycles fsck "Could not determine filesystem type" and
dumps me into single user mode so I can fsck my volumes. This is a
problem!!

I wonder if I could tell fsck to use "-T ufs" in the rc.conf file, but
I feel like I am just sidestepping the issue. FSCK should be able to
detemine the filesystem type without help as far as I know, but I'm not
sure what the problem could be. Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error
please notify us immediately by replying to postmaster at pcbancorp.com.