performance gain by compiling ports and kernel / java issues

Bert Lagaisse bert.lagaisse at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Dec 10 05:08:35 PST 2003

Hey,

1)
I now use the pre-build ports and kernel. (4.9-Release)
What performance-gain do I obtain by building my own kernel and
compiling the ports ? (the system is a PIII 500 Mhz with 512 MB ram)

Does the extra work and efforts compare to the gain ?

2)
Installing Eclipse on my box drives me completely nuts.
The dependencies of the package requires:
the diablo jdk, apache ant ...
But during installing apache-ant it also wanted jdk 1.2.2,
which requires linux-blackdown jdk.

3 jdk's needed ? Or am I wrong ?
www.freebsd.org/java doesn't help me.

The automatic installation procedure of eclipse got interrupted because
the sun jdk package needs manual download. Did that affect my systems
consistency ?

Thanx in advance

Bert

(PS: Since I've subscribed for this list, I receive a lot of virus
mails. Am I the only one ?)

--
Bert Lagaisse

K.U.Leuven, Dept. computer science