ejecting a Zip disk using eject(1)

Matthew Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Mon Dec 1 15:36:03 PST 2003

> > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:13 am, DG wrote:
> > > # eject afd0
> > > eject: No such file or directory
> >
> > I dont know the syntax expected but you probably should be doing:
> >
> >   eject /dev/afd0
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jacob
>

> I tried that too.  The eject command accepts just the device name without
> prefix, and prepends "/dev/" as necessary.
>
> Specifically from man eject(1):
>
> SYNOPSIS
>      eject [-fnv] device
>
> DESCRIPTION
>      eject is a program to eject removable media from drive.  The device
is
>      removable drive name such as cd0, matcd0, mcd0, scd0, wcd0 or od0.
> eject
>      unmounts the device if it was mounted brefore ejecting.
>
> Given that it says "removable drive name such as ..." I assumed that those
> listed were just examples, and that any ejectable media should be
> programatically ejectable.  My interpretation of the man page may have
been
> incorrect, or eject might not support Zip drives?

It's probably the case that the actual Zip drive itself doesn't have the
hardware to eject the disk automatically -- you have to push the eject
button on the front (like a floppy) -- at least with the Zip drives I've
used.

CD-ROMs, OTOH, can be ejected through software since the tray is motorized.

--
Matt Emmerton