SOLVED: Can't install gaim on FreeBSD 4.x

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Dec 1 09:19:47 PST 2003

David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> writes:

> On 12/01/03 16:33, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> >David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> writes:
> >
> >>Gaim requires perl 5.8 or higher just to be installed - its 'l33t++
> >>custom configurator thingy requires it. The 5.005 that comes
> >>with FreeBSD 4.8 is not sufficient.
> >>
> >That's not true.  I just did it (on -STABLE, and with the latest
> >ports, but with the stock perl 5.005_03.
> >

> That's weird, 'cos it's a FAQ on the Gaim site that it wants >=5.8,
> and the Perl wouldn't work with the stock 5.005_03 but did with
> 5.8.1 from packages ... so the port patches Gaim's Perl code?

No, looking closer I see that with perl versions less than 5.008, it
just configures without perl.  Perl isn't necessary to gaim at all.
You may not be able to run homemade perl scripts that way, but it
doesn't sound like you were doing that anyway.

> >>- cvsupit your ports
> >>
> >cvsupit has been gone for some time, and hadn't really worked for a
> >while before that.  [which is why it's gone]
> >

> I'm sure Liz (my wife) says that's what she ran for it. Must have
> been something else, then.

Or your ports tree is somewhat old; it's been gone for three months or
so, and broken for at least three before that.