Verio mover to FreeBSD

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Aug 29 09:52:30 PDT 2003

Jastonephd at aol.com wrote:
> Why if Verio has moved our sites to you, are they still charging us $6,000
> per annum for hosting?

$500 per month for rack space, power, a leased Intel box with, say 10 Mbs
burstable traffic, nightly backups, and such?

Most of these are fixed costs which don't have much to do with which operating
system is being used.  FreeBSD is going to be significantly less time-consuming
to administer than, say, Windows.

> What is the viability of this server?

You haven't told us what you're doing.  I've gotten the impression that FreeBSD
isn't particularly viable as a voicemail solution, but it's pretty good at many
other things, particularly traditional Unix server stuff.

> With the CA economy in dire straits, how secure is your future?

An odd question for someone living in NY.  Anyway, FreeBSD is an open-source
project and the people working on FreeBSD are pretty thoroughly distributed
around the world.  The local economy isn't especially relevant to the success of
the FreeBSD project.

--
-Chuck