how do i allot the partition for red hat 9?

Siegbert Baude Siegbert.Baude at gmx.de
Wed Aug 27 00:36:25 PDT 2003

Hi,

this mailing list is for FreeBSD specific questions, so if you have
further questions with regard to RedHat, look on their website which
lists are appropiate.

> my disk have had 4 primary partitions:one fat16,one fat32,one ufs,and an
> extended.and,
> i have some other free space without any  file system made on it.

As it is not possible to have more than 4 primary partitions, the free
space is wasted. You should have added it to the extended partition

 > i would like to install
> red hat 9 useing the free space, but don`t know how to make the partition
> layout.should i allot the file system for red hat 9 inside the extented
> partition?if not,how can i deal with it?

You can't use the free space as explained above. You must use the
extended partition. This will be fine for Linux (but would fail for
FreeBSD, as it needs a primary partition for its installation).

Ciao
Siegbert