dhclient denied repost

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Sun Aug 24 11:21:43 PDT 2003

----- Forwarded message from Bob Hall <rjhjr at cox.net> -----

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:50:04 -0400
From: "Bob Hall" <rjhjr at cox.net>
Subject: dhclient denied repost
To: FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>

I'm posting this again in hopes that someone who has some insight
into dhclient will notice it and respond.

I'm getting the following message:
	Aug 21 13:00:03 kongemord dhclient: send_packet: Permission denied
I don't believe the problem is the firewall for the following
reasons:
1) DHCP works. I acquire and renew leases without any problems.
2) The IP address:port# pair for the failed connection is
   generally listed in messages when a connection attempt is blocked
   at the firewall. I've never received this message at a time when I
   didn't have an IP address, but the socket pair isn't listed.
3) Over the past couple of months, I've tried the following ipfw rules,
   without any change.
   ${fwcmd} add allow udp from any bootpc to any bootps
      keep-state out via ${oif}
   ${fwcmd} add allow udp from any bootps to any bootps
      keep-state out via ${oif}
   ${fwcmd} add allow udp from any to any bootps keep-state out via ${oif}

Note that ipfw rewrites the last as
   $fwcmd add pass udp from any to any 67 keep-state out xmit ${oif}
The two are equivalent.

I'm not an expert on ipfw rules, and the problem could still be the
firewall. I'd appreceate input from someone who knows more about it
than I do.

Bob Hall