Copying an entire tree

Pat Lashley patl at volant.org
Fri Aug 22 13:53:26 PDT 2003

--On Friday, August 22, 2003 20:17:07 +0930 Malcolm Kay
<malcolm.kay at internode.on.net> wrote:

> Dump/restore is also the only technique I've found to retain the holes in
> holey files.

cpio can handle sparse files.  I think that was the reason I changed
from a tar/tar pipe to a find/cpio pipe as my standard method many
years ago.  (It's been long enough that I don't remember for certain.)

Now, I'll probably use cpdup; since it handles the flags properly.
Although, now that you mention it, the docs don't say anything about
sparse files; so I may have to be careful which I choose for a given
hierarchy...  or at least find a test case...

-Pat