dhclient denied

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Thu Aug 21 14:50:07 PDT 2003

I posted about this a while ago, but I haven't been able to
find the cause. I'm getting the following message:
Aug 21 13:00:03 kongemord dhclient: send_packet: Permission denied

DHCP seems to work fine; I'm getting and maintaining DHCP leases
properly. But these messages are filling up my messages file and
causing my curiosity to drive me crazy. I initially thought that
my firewall was blocking DHCP packets, but I've tried various ipfw
rule changes, including some suggested here, with no effect. My
current DHCP rules are:
        ${fwcmd} add allow udp from any bootps to any bootps keep-state out via
	${oif}
        ${fwcmd} add allow udp from any 68 to 255.255.255.255 67 keep-state out
	via ${oif}
I know the second line is redundent. I was grasping at straws when I
put it in.

Generally, a failed connection attempt generates a message with
the IP address and port at each end. This message doesn't have that,
so that and the failure of firewall changes to end the message make
me think that the blocked packets aren't getting as far as the firewall.

Does anybody have any idea what is causing this?

Bob Hall