SMTP attempt?

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Thu Aug 21 11:33:42 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:24:58AM -0700, Dan Strick wrote:

> > I've been noticing a lot of the following the last week:
> > Aug 21 01:00:01 kongemord /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP 127.0.0.1:25
> > from 127.0.0.1:1074
> >
> > I can't figure out what's trying to connect to the SMTP port. I've got
> > sendmail turned off, so there's nothing listening at port 25.
> >
> > Bob Hall
> >>>>>>>>>>

> Recent sendmail configurations route all local email through the sendmail
> daemon that usually listens on port 25.  There was a "security" reason
> for the change.  Since local email is essential, for example for reporting
> the results of the "daily" scripts run out of crontab, you should either
> reenable your sendmail daemon on port 25 or reconfigure your local email
> to not route everything through the daemon.  There are instructions
> for doing this somewhere in the sendmail documentation.  I think it
> involves hacking /etc/mail/submit.cf.

Thanks Dan. I've changed
	sendmail_enable="NONE"
to NO and added
	sendmail_submit_enable="YES"
>From the rc.conf man page, I think that enables listening at localhost.
At reboot, I got
	sendmail-clientmqueue
so I think I need to add
	sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
to rc.conf, since I'm not queuing outbound mail. The man page is a bit
cryptic, so someone tell me if I'm wrong.

> Note: the sendmail binary that comes with FreeBSD was built with libwrap.a
> support.  That means it obeys /etc/hosts.allow and can be told to reject
> all non-local connections to port 25.

sendmail : localhost : allow
sendmail : ALL : deny

Thanks again.