Portupgrade questions

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Wed Aug 20 11:30:38 PDT 2003

"Charles Howse" <chowse at charter.net> writes:

> Now that I am ready to start installing applications, I have read *some*
> of the documentation in man portupgrade and some articles on the web.
>
> First, I did:
> # tar -czvf dbpkg.tgz /var/db/pkg
> Then:
> #pkgdb -F
> It found cvsupit was broken with no fix for 3 months, I deleted it and
> all it's dependencies.
> Then:
> # portversion
> And upgraded all those that needed it.
> Then I installed mc, popa3d, and lynx.
> # Portinstall mc
> # Portinstall popa3d
> # Portinstall lynx
> When I went to install bash2, it couldn't find it, so I installed it the
> old way from the port.
> Then:
> # portinstall samba
> (not smaba-devel)
> It went interactive and prompted me for options, I selected with syslog
> support.  I don't really know what I'm doing here, I've never had to
> configure options in samba before: rpm -ivh samba*.rpm
>

> Good so far?
>

> Now when I reboot, I see messages about not being able to connect to the
> cups server.
> What's goin' on there?

cups is now pulled in by samba by default.

There's a variable ("WITHOUT_CUPS") for disabling this.  You could set
it in pkgtools.conf for convenience.

> Now on to staying up2date...
> I've put a file in /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily to cvsup -g -L 2
> /etc/cvsupfile
> I've created the file /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/ports-all/refuse and put
> ports/INDEX in it.
> That should give me a fresh update every night with the exception of the
>
> I'm going to subscribe to freebsd-announce,
>
> I'm going to keep running cvsup at intervals, and look for modifications
> to the ports I've
> installed.
>
> When something needs updating I can do it individually or:
>
> # cd /usr/ports
> # make index       ( -or- portsdb -uU)
> # portupgrade -Nia
>
> Whew!  Is there anything else I should do or be aware of?

You could always build the index automatically, as part of the cvsup
job, and then portversion will be all you need to know whether
anything has an update available.  Of course, just because an update
is available doesn't necessarily mean that you need to get it.