Shared libraries

Szilveszter Adam sziszi at bsd.hu
Wed Aug 20 02:14:34 PDT 2003

Hello,

First a question.

Are you using the ports system, or are you experimenting with building
from source directly?

If the version you want is in ports, you should try that even if you
have to apply a patch manually before building, because then all of the
libtool mess will be taken care of for you. It's not for nothing that
there are no less than 3 versions of libtool in the tree as of now,
because not all ports compile with all versions. Therefore simply taking
the most recent version of libtool is not guaranteed to work. I do not
know the exact cause of the libtool error message you quote, but libtool
from ports works for me.

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 07:00:13PM -0500, gcn53 at vfemail.net wrote:
>  Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lz.

>  Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lcrypt.

>  Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lm.

But I know about these.

> ====
> So if I had the shared versions of the libraries would that overcome my
> exim-mysql upgrade problems?

>From the error output you posted, the answer would be "probably" (It is
missing some functions from libz)

> If so how or where do I get the shared library versions?

You already have them. But the libtool does not find them for some
reason. Maybe you could try:

env CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib
-L/usr/local/lib" make

Hope this helps.

--
Regards: