POP3 user configuration

yo _ exhausted01 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 08:45:36 PDT 2003

Hello all!

I'm setting up a POP3/SMTP server (going to use qpopper/sendmail) for my
community computer access center and i have little experience setting up a
pop3 server (i have more experience setting up a private smtp relay server).

My primary question is how can i set up user accounts strictly for POP3
access without shell access, or even without the home directory set up. I
was wondering if maybe (luckily and convieniently) adduser had an option for
easy pop3 user set-up, but i didn't find any, then i thought that maybe i'd
make a shell script to do all the restrictions automatically.

I was also wondering if anyone knew how to do that check first/send after
bit where users must first check their pop3 mailboxes before using the SMTP
server to send mail out (i want to prevent just anyone from the internet
from using the SMTP server). Any more comments/suggestions would also be
greatly appreciated. Thank all of you in advance!

-Rian Hunter