How to structure a port with plugins

Sam Lawrance boris at brooknet.com.au
Mon Aug 18 05:14:34 PDT 2003

Hi all,		(please cc replies to me)

I'm writing a port for multisync. Included in the source tarball are a
bunch of plugins for synchronising with various devices and programs.
Not everbody is going to want them all. There's no existing mechanism to
automatically build some or all of the plugins.

What is the best way to build the plugins?

I've thought of the doing the following:
- Have a separate port for each plugin, depend on the main port for the
source. This sure makes creating the packing list a lot simpler.
- Build the plugins from the main port based in WITH_xxxxx variables

Now I think about it the first option seems better, but I'd like to hear
what anybody thinks.

Thanks,
-Sam Lawrance.