vinum config info stays intact during reinstall?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 16 17:44:17 PDT 2003

On Saturday, 16 August 2003 at 17:51:14 -0500, Hari Bhaskaran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I reinstalled one of my machines that had vinum running
> (wiped & installed 5.1) and vinum was able to pickup the
> drives/plexes etc right after I started vinum. Can I rely
> on this feature?

You should be able to.  Having backups does no harm, though.

> or should I use resetconfig & create again?

NO!  To quote the man page:

             The resetconfig command completely obliterates the vinum configu-
             ration on a system.  Use this command only when you want to com-
             pletely delete the configuration.

From the tutorial at http://www.vinumvm.org/cfbsd/vinum.pdf:

o Do not use the resetconfig command unless you genuinely don't want to see any
  of your configuration again.  There are other alternatives, such as rm, which
  removes individual objects or groups of objects.

> If vinum stores its info somewhere hidden in the swap, I would have
> expected it to disappear after a reinstall ( I didn't re-create
> slices or partitions, left them as they are during the re-install).

It doesn't use swap.  Again, from the tutorial:

Configuring Vinum

Vinum maintains a configuration database that describes the objects known to an
individual  system.   You  create  the  configuration database from one or more
configuration files with the aid of the vinum utility program.  Vinum stores  a
copy  of  its  configuration  database  on  each Vinum drive.  This database is
updated on each state change, so that a restart accurately restores  the  state
of each Vinum object.

Greg