how-to run javascript on my server

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sat Aug 16 10:41:10 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 08:33:13PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> I have some menu server java applets I would like to run on my fbsd server
> but I have no idea where to get started. Some initial inquiries on Google
> have not brought any luck.
>
> Is there any sites that deal with this, or does anyone have a suggestion?

First of all.  Java and Java script are two different things. I take it
you use Java. Your Java applets don't run on the server but on the
client. The main problem from a server point of view is that you need
to make sure that the class files can be handed out by the webserver.

You could check these thing:
- Does your client Java installed?
- Does your client the Java version installed that you use? (I.e you
  use commands of version 2.0 and you client has 1.2)
- Does your client know how to get the class files?
- Does your server hand them corretly out? (You could check
  /var/log/httpd-*.log if you use apache)

As far for websites: java.sun.com is the main site you want to look at.
It has great tutorials, howtos and user support groups.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/