How to send a PR without send-pr?

Alexander Haderer alexander.haderer at charite.de
Wed Aug 13 08:01:33 PDT 2003

At 09:20 13.08.2003 +0100, Scott Mitchell wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:47:03PM +0200, Toni Schmidbauer wrote:
> >
> > trying to answer q2 because q1 was too complicated :-)
> >
> > edit /etc/mail/submit.cf and change
> >
> > D{MTAHost}[localhost]

> > D{MTAHost}[<global mail server>]
> >
> > restart sendmail. this is untested, so let me know if it works
> > for you.
> >
> > because relaying over <global mail server> is only permitted
> > after a successfull pop login, use fetchmail just before sending
> > the mail:
> >
> > fetchmail -c -p pop3 -u <your username> <global mail server>
>
>Possibly easier to edit /etc/mail/freebsd.submit.mc.  Change the last line:
>
>FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')dnl

>FEATURE(`msp', `your.mail.server')dnl

I tried Scott's version together with fetchmail, it did't work. After
fetchmail ... I did a "mail known at email.address" and I get a dead.letter
without any error information. Thanks for your answers.

Meanwhile I got send-pr working by doing two things:

1.
send-pr is just a shell script which calls /usr/sbin/sendmail to deliver
the message. send-pr reads the env MAIL_AGENT. When setting the env
Variable MAIL_AGENT to

     "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t -falexander.haderer at charite.de"

instead of the default

     "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t"

it worked. Here -f did the trick because our mailserver only allows
"relaying" mail to outside when the "originator" has a valid public email
address which is known to our mail server.

2.
Modify /etc/mail/freebsd.cf:

add

define(`SMART_HOST' `our.mail.server')

This works.

Just for curiousity: Is there a place in /etc/mail where I can tell my
sendmail daemon that:
- it should use -fpublic.address at charite.de when sending mail
- it maps local users like "jd" to joe.doe at charite.de for this -f thing

I dont want to read my mail on the FreeBSD machine, it would be just nice if a

"mail xy at abc.def < somefile"

would work, because now I have to transfer somefile to my Winbox' Email
programm somehow.

with best regards,

Alexander Haderer
Alexander Haderer                     Charite
                                       Campus Virchow-Klinikum
Tel.  +49 30 - 450 557 182            Strahlenklinik und Poliklinik
Fax.  +49 30 - 450 557 117            Sekr. Prof. Felix
Email alexander.haderer at charite.de    Augustenburger Platz 1
www   http://www.charite.de/rv/str/   13353 Berlin - Germany