mergemaster clarification

otzinger at attcanada.ca otzinger at attcanada.ca
Tue Aug 12 19:07:29 PDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:29:31 -0700
"Mike Maltese" <mike at pcmedx.com> wrote:

> > possible.  various sources (handbook, man page, absolute bsd, google)
> indicated
> > that mergemaster would compare files for differences.  it did, but it only
> presented
> > 4 different files.  i had the impression that mergemaster would run
> through *all* the
> > files in /etc.  was i wrong to expect this?
>
> Kinda. Mergemaster will only attempt to merge files that are different from
> source. Either the four files it compared were modified by you in the
> configuration of your system, or they were updated in the source tree (or
> both).

it is precisely because i modified *many* files under /etc (like rc.conf,
master.passwd, group, adduser.conf, XF86Config, fstab, gettytab, ttys,
and on and on...) that i expected mergemaster to present me with more than
just 4 files to compare (which were ppp.conf, motd, csh.cshrc, and one other
which i no longer recall).

is this the expected behaviour?

[tks for your quick reply, mike.]