Think outside of the box (Gawd, I hate that term)
listone at deathbeforedecaf.net
Sun Aug 10 00:12:06 PDT 2003
It's a wonderful idea.
To have a chance, you would need
* leader(s) with a convincing vision for 'the new thing'
* long-term financial backing
* hardware design expertise
* partnerships with major hardware manufacturers
You also need a target market that is
* under-serviced by the current vendors
* small enough not to be worth fighting over
* large enough to keep you financial
* prepared to disown all their existing applications
If you get all this, and are incredibly lucky, you will become Apple.
But you're much more likely to end up as Be Inc.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris" <racerx at makeworld.com>
Subject: Think outside of the box (Gawd, I hate that term)
> Guys (and gals)
> As great as the *BSD's are - why are we not thinking ahead of the
> Outside of the box? What do I mean? Well - why not develope our OS's
> on an arch. that isn't out yet - MAKE that new arch. just like Gates
> many years ago. He defined the x86 market - why can't we do the same?
> With all the thinkers out there (Jordan, Theo) wouln't that be
> to go?
> Just a thought - and willing to confess, I have zero clue how to get
> But, we need to get there.
> Best regards,
More information about the freebsd-questions