PC-Card NIC not recognized in 4.8R

Michael A. Smith msmith at code-fu.com
Fri Aug 8 20:01:56 PDT 2003

I've just installed FreeBSD 4.8R (from CD-ROM) on a Sony VAIO laptop. I
plug my SMC PC-Card NIC in and I get a "pccard inserted: slot 0" message
and that's all. The card is seemingly unrecognized, I get no other
console messages and ifconfig shows nothing.

The funny part is that I installed FreeBSD 4.3 (from CD-ROM) on this
machine a few years ago and plugged the same NIC into it and I got a
whole lot of console messages -- it was recognized by name and assigned
a device (ed1). I had upgraded it to 4.4 and maybe even to 4.5 before
taking FreeBSD off (until now).

Same laptop, same NIC, different version of FreeBSD.

How can I get a PC-Card NIC recognized in 4.8? Any ideas. Thanks!

--
Michael A. Smith <msmith at code-fu.com>
Programmer at Large