Mail client (Virtual users/domains)

Ian Barnes ian at cerebellum.za.net
Fri Aug 8 15:51:20 PDT 2003

Hey,

I am running a virtual users setup using exim (http://www.exim.org) and
vm-pop3d. Works like a dream. For a webmail client, im using imp
(http://www.horde.org). Works very nicely aswell, with lots of nice addons.
If you use a different MTA then it will replace Sendmail. I dont know about
a Web Admin package for exim (?), but its easy enought to configure using
command line. I never touch my exim.conf file. I only edit a pop3-domains
file, which contains domains that i pop for, and an aliases file for each
domain that i host for mail forwarding etc.

The way it would work on my system would be:

remote pc --> exim --> mailbox --> vm-pop3d <--> client (using virtual
login)

Your pop3 daemon should do the authentication for you, if you are not using
virtual users, then it will look at any users you have added to your system,
if you have virtual users, it will look into how you have set it up for
usernames and passwords.

HTH.

Ian