ISPs blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Fri Aug 8 15:20:25 PDT 2003

On 08 Aug Mykroft Holmes IV wrote:
> Just because you have a highspeed connection with a stable or static
> IP doesn't mean it's not dynamic. Dynamic simply means assigned by
> DHCP or RADIUS (For dialup and some DSL). If you're in this space you
> should be relaying through your ISP's mailserver. 90% of people in
> this space are precluded from running server daemons by their AUP
> anyways.

A *typical* American way of thinking. Hey guys, you're not gods. The
world is larger than just the US. Al lot of ISP's in Holland allow to
run servers on their dynamic space (IF you config them right, that is)

It's just fucking wrong to cut these people off running decent servers,
just because they can't (or are not willing) to affort a T1.

It's an easy statement to say you "should relay through your ISP
mailserver" just because that is true in the States. Again: the world is
larger than that. Don't exclude yourself pretending you control all.

> Never read a header? Most of that so called 'Hotmail' or 'AOL' spam
> doesn't come from either, it either comes from overseas or that
> 'Dynamic' space you're defending

Fake hotmail adresses are easely blocked. See what I mean. They come
"from overseas.." Jesus, as if all bad things come from everyplace on
earth except the states.

> If you've got a business connection and a 'Dynamic' IP, complain to
> your ISP. Blocking 'Dynamic' space and thus the multitude of idiots
> with exploited windoze boxes on their cable/DSL connection is quite
> effective, probably more than using spews (Which is notorious for
> blocking non-offenders)

Ever wondered how many of these folks run linux or FreeBSD servers on
this so called 'dynamic space' You bloat about exploited windows
machines and 'forget' about the rest of us running decent servers.
I don't know many people running a windows mailserver; I DO know quite
some folks running a *BSD (unix/linux) one.

> You don't have as much control as you think, this is just adding one
> extra hop into the usual 2-3 hops that your mail is going to take
> anyways. If you can't live with that, get a T1.

Wrong attitude, dude.

> Get another ISP then.

This one too.

> I suggest you rethink your position.

Wake up, get a life outside the states.

--
dick -- http://www.nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.8 ++ Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)