Xclock grows and grows (Was Re: How can I check for swap space?)

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Aug 8 06:46:49 PDT 2003

Freebies -

A bit more information on my 'startx' thrashing.

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, John Mills wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, John Mills wrote:
>
> > I will mostly run services and ssh console sessions, so that might be
> > enough. However I also wanted to run some lightweight X11 setup so I
> > installed 'fvwm2' and have a 'mostly working' XF86Config. When
> > [ordinary-user] I execute 'startx' the system gradually fills all of RAM
> > and swap then locks up the X-server. Granted my space is small, but this
> > still looks wrong to me.

> > My '~/.xinitrc' is a one-liner: "exec fvwm2".

> Now it just says: "fvwm2"

I created a swapfile, and thereby doubled my swap space to 184MBy, thanks
to 'dd' and 'vnconfig'. (I remembered I've been here before and went back
through my mail!)

'startx' still proceeds until it fills all available memory. In
particular, 'top' shows the size of 'xclock' growing while other processes
seem OK.

1) Where do I go to remove 'xclock' from the list of processes brought up
by 'fvwm2'?

2) Does this [mis]behavior sound familiar to anyone?

3) I am still running 4.8-Release installed from CD 1. I have not updated
any packages yet. If there are some 'strongly recommended' updates, what
would they be?

Keep those cards and letters coming!

Thanks.
 John Mills