How can I check for swap space? (4.8-Release)

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Aug 7 18:02:18 PDT 2003

Mike, Freebies -

Thanks for the help.

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 07:16 PM 8/7/2003 -0400, John Mills wrote:
> >Freebies -
> >
> >I just installed 4.8-Release from CDs and let the installer divide my disk
> >automatically. Things are acting as though I have little or no active swap
> >space.
> >
> >2. How can I check what I got? (No joy yet from 'fdisk' on that.)
> >
> cat /etc/fstab
> will show you what gets mounted at boot time.
> mount
> pstat -T
> and disklabel

My box has 48 MBy RAM and the automatic installer gave me 80MBy of swap,
which does seem to be mounted and used (if a bit small given today's
code).

I will mostly run services and ssh console sessions, so that might be
enough. However I also wanted to run some lightweight X11 setup so I
installed 'fvwm2' and have a 'mostly working' XF86Config. When
[ordinary-user] I execute 'startx' the system gradually fills all of RAM
and swap then locks up the X-server. Granted my space is small, but this
still looks wrong to me.

My '~/.xinitrc' is a one-liner: "exec fvwm2".

Any ideas what's happening?

TIA.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu