are all dsl modems the same?

Ronan Lucio ronanl at melim.com.br
Thu Aug 7 11:02:38 PDT 2003

No.

At first you need to know the type of your connection (PPPoA or PPPoE).

If you want the FreeBSD box hold the public IP, you'll need
configure the ADSL modem as a bridge, otherwise, configure
as a router.

Some modems don't do bridge PPPoA. Ask to your supplier
if yours does.

We have worked with modems Alcatel and DLink perfectly.
The 3Com seems to be a good modem, too.

There are also other modems, too. But I'm talking just
about the modems there I know.

Ronan