nss_ldap in -CURRENT

Thomas Deniau thomas-ml at deniau.org
Thu Aug 7 02:53:35 PDT 2003

> But when I try to change a pass for a LDAP user I get :
> passwd: Sorry, `passwd' can only change passwords for local or NIS
> users.

That's actually strange.....

>From /usr/src/usr.bin/passwd/passwd.c :

        /* check where the user's from */
        switch (pwd->pw_fields & _PWF_SOURCE) {
        case _PWF_FILES:
                fprintf(stderr, "Changing local password for %s\n",
                    pwd->pw_name);
                break;
        case _PWF_NIS:
                fprintf(stderr, "Changing NIS password for %s\n",
                    pwd->pw_name);
                break;
        default:
                /* XXX: Green men ought to be supported via PAM. */
                errx(1,
          "Sorry, `passwd' can only change passwords for local or NIS
users.");
        }

So it doesn't want to change passwords for non-local users.
However, if you take a look at this source file, after these lines come
a bunch of PAM calls...

So, is it safe to comment out the errx and recompile passwd ?

--
Thomas Deniau
"Unix is user friendly. It's just selective when choosing friends."