Question concerning dual-NIC configuration

Michael K. Smith mksmith at noanet.net
Wed Aug 6 11:16:25 PDT 2003

Hello:

Coming from a Network Engineering perspective, I'm interested in having my
servers be as redundant as possible.  I have two NIC's in the machine, so I
would like for the "server" to be reachable over either interface.

To my mind, I would give a loopback interface an IP address that is the
"server" in this case.  Then, each interface would have it's own subnet and
I would route over those two interfaces to the loopback for all packets
destined to the server.  So, something like:

                lo1 -> 192.168.1.1/32
ed0 -> 172.16.1.2/30                ed1 -> 172.16.1.6/30

Then, on the router, I have a route statement for 192.168.1.1/32 over the
two interface subnets.

Is this possible?

Mike
--
Michael K. Smith          NoaNet
206.219.7116 (work)       206.579.8360 (cell)