Mouse/X11 Documentation

Ryan Merrick sandshrimp at comcast.net
Sun Aug 3 03:02:10 PDT 2003

Frank Jahnke wrote:
> I'm writing you this message for assistance in getting my mouse wheel to
> work with X11.  Yes, another one of these requests.  I have been through
> the documentation (and numerous articles on the web) and yet I still
> cannot get it to work.
>
> I am running BSD 4.8 with XFree86 v4.3.0 (downloaded last week, so it
> should be a very current version of the latest stable release).  My
> window manager is currently Window Maker v0.80.1. The mouse is a
> Logitech MouseMan Wheel, which I understand is equivalent to the
> MouseMan+.
>
> With success I have installed support for the mouse using moused for the
> console drivers.  I added line allscreens_flags to my rc.conf file for
> mouse support on the various virtual consoles.  That works fine.  I can
> also use the same three buttons for text selection and pasting in X11.
>
> What I cannot get to work is text scrolling using the wheel.  From
> section 11.3 of the FAQ, first there is a description of /etc/XF86Config
> (which is now located in /etc/X11/XF86Config) that is for XFree86 v3
> only.  I currently have the 4.3 equivalent (see below) with SysMouse
> replaced by Auto.  Changing from one to the other did not make a
> difference, as far as I could tell.
>
> Moving on to section 11.4 of the FAQ, I have tried without success to
> use either moused or the X server for wheel support.  For the former, I
> added the moused_flags line and options to rc.conf, as suggested.
> Moving now to Example 11-2, first the caption is incorrect.  It DOES
> describe use of XF86Config with moused Translations, does it not?  I
> needed to use an Identifier of "Mouse0" instead of "Mouse1", or else X11
> would crash (again, see below).
>
> Imwheel was downloaded and installed from the ports collection; the
> configuration file moved to ~/.imwheelrc (which was used without
> alteration).  No success.
>
> Next I tried to use the X Server to translate wheel events.  The
> suggested use of "MouseManPlusPS/2" was not recognized by XFree; since
> BSD recognized the mouse type on boot-up, I reverted to "Auto".  Using
> the device /dev/psm0 was not successful -- the device was busy, and X11
> would not load.  I replaced psm0 with sysmouse.  After imwheel was
> loaded, the wheel still did not scroll the screen.
>
> I admit that it is frustrating to find files in different directories,
> mislabeled headings in the documentation, and configurations that do not
> work as suggested.  It feels to me that XFree86 is new, and has not been
> fully incorporated into the various texts.
>
> I am at loss on how best to proceed, and your suggestions would be most
> appreciated.
>
> Frank Jahnke, Ph.D.
> President, FMJ & Associates
> Auburn, CA 95604
> frank at frankjahnke.com
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> Section "InputDevice"
>
> # Identifier and driver

> [...]
Uncomment this line in your XF86Config

#    Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

The imwheel port is more or less intergrated into the X11 since 4.2. I
dont have it installed and the wheel works great in X11.

You must use the device /dev/sysmouse in X11 if you run moused on the
console.  If you disable moused on the console you can use the device
/dev/psm0. I suggest you get rid of moused to simplify the troubleshooting.

Do check (#dmesg | grep psm0) what your mouse is being seen as by the
kernel. I get flakey issues with my KVM that made my mouse into a
generic ps2. You might need to change a flag on atkbd and rebuild the
kernel.

-Ryan Merrick