OFF TOPIC: hard drive problems

Andrew Gould andrewgould at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 05:42:16 PDT 2003

Is my hard drive about to fail? I've had the same
hardware for several months without a problem.  While
running insert sql statements, I received the
following messages:

ad1: write command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices..ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33,
non-ATA66 cable or device
done

ad1: timeout waiting for DRQ - resetting
ata0: resetting devices..ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33,
non-ATA66 cable or device
done

I was unable to do anything after that.  When the
system rebooted, it could not find FreeBSD.  I could
only reboot to FreeBSD after rewriting the mount
points using disklabel from the FreeBSD 5.0 CD#1.

This happened twice yesterday.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.8-Stable and PostgreSQL 7.3.2.
Win2K is on the first hard drive of IDE0.  FreeBSD is
on the slave hard drive of IDE0.  The hard drive in
qeustion is a Western Digital 80GB ATA100 hard drive
with an 8MB buffer. All hard drives in the computer
are ATA100, which is supported by the motherboard.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew Gould