Accidentally deleted /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3

Eduardo Viruena Silva mrspock at esfm.ipn.mx
Tue Apr 29 13:53:19 PDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Clark Kent wrote:

> Yep, I managed to do it! I'm probably the first person in history to
> ever do it, too! Darn it.
>
> History:
>
> 	Well, it all started when i couldnt run a certain linux binary under
> emulation. I decided to symlink an existing file (libstdc++.so.3) to the
> required file (libstdcc++.so.5). No luck. Well, seeing how it did not
> work, i decided to remove the symbolic link - only to accidentally
> remove the original libstdc++.so.3.
>
> Consequences:
>
> 	Mozilla refuses to run. Abiword refuses to run. Countless other
> programs refused to run, as they required this elf lib.
>
> Attempted Fixes:
>
> 	Maybe a buildworld would do the trick, I thought; it was also time for
> me to update my sources also. => Buildworld fails when it couldn't find
> the file.
>
> Arrrrggh!
> Short of deinstalling Freebsd, is there anything else i could do to get
> that missing file, or at least build it from existing sources? I haven't
> done anything else as stupid as this, so my filesystems/crucial files
> should be intact.
>
> Any advice welcome :)

What version of FreeBSD are you using?
What version of linux_base package are you using?

I cannot see this library in my computers...

If it is part of Linux emulation package, why dont you extract it from
there?  you know:

cd /
tar xvzf linux_base_{your_version}.tgz "usr/lib/libstdcc++.so.5"

you wrote double "c" is that correct?

> ps: this is my first post, so i don't know if it will actually go
> through. Hope it does

it will.