PCMCIA ethernet NE2000 compatible card problem

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Mon Apr 28 06:07:32 PDT 2003

Hello!

> I'm facing the following problem with my ethernet pccard. I installed FBSD 4.8
> on my ThinkPad 570 via ftp using the above mentioned ethernet card (using
> ed(4) driver). No problems occured. So now I have a 4.8 box installed. But
> after I reboot and started my new FBSD box the same ethernet device didn't
> seem to work anymore:
> >ed1: device timeout

[snip]

> But it worked fine while the installation process! I've no idea what could
> have happened. Maybe this is a sort of IRQ problem, but AFAIK the newly
> installed box should use the same kernel as've been used while istalling the
> system. I don't know where to look for IRQs bindings my FBSD box uses right
> now. Unfortunately, I forgot to install kernel srcs, so now I can't even
> recompile the kernel.
> Here is a more precise information:
> >dmesg
> config> en ed0
> config> po ed0 0x280
> config> ir ed0 10
> config> iom ed0 0xd8000
> config> f ed0 0

Notice that IRQ 10 and port 0x280 are used here.

> pccard: card inserted, slot 0
> pccard: card removed, slot 0
> pccard: card inserted, slot 0
> ed1: at port ........ irq 11 slot 0 on pccard0

Notice that IRQ 11 is used here (you blanked out the port).

> ed1: device timeout
> ed1: device timeout

> I wonder what those commands in /boot/kernel.conf mean (config> strings in
> dmesg)?

This means that when you installed FreeBSD, you configured the network
interface to use IRQ 10 and port 0x280. Since the ftp-installation worked,
these values must be correct.

Now that the system is installed, however, it is using ed1 (not ed0) as the
network interface for whatever reason. I assume that there is no other
network card in your laptop which would be ed0. However, the kernel tries
to assign IRQ 11 to your NIC, which doesn't seem to be correct.

I think that if you edit /boot/kernel.conf and replace ed0 with ed1
you'll get your NIC working.

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Super Time-Saver now loading.  Please wait........