PCMCIA ethernet NE2000 compatible card problem

Vladik Kozin epbox at yandex.ru
Sun Apr 27 01:34:20 PDT 2003

Hi.
I'm facing the following problem with my ethernet pccard. I installed FBSD 4.8
on my ThinkPad 570 via ftp using the above mentioned ethernet card (using
ed(4) driver). No problems occured. So now I have a 4.8 box installed. But
after I reboot and started my new FBSD box the same ethernet device didn't
seem to work anymore:
>ed1: device timeout

Here what man 4 ed sais:

"ed%d: device timeout"
Indicates that an expected transmitter interrupt didn't occur. Usually caused
by an interrupt conflict with another card on the ISA bus. This condition
could also be caused if the kernel is configured for a different IRQ channel
than the one the card is actually using. If that is the case, you will have
to either reconfigure the card using a DOS utility or set the jumpers on the
card appropriately.

But it worked fine while the installation process! I've no idea what could
have happened. Maybe this is a sort of IRQ problem, but AFAIK the newly
installed box should use the same kernel as've been used while istalling the
system. I don't know where to look for IRQs bindings my FBSD box uses right
now. Unfortunately, I forgot to install kernel srcs, so now I can't even
recompile the kernel.
Here is a more precise information:
>dmesg
config> en ed0
config> po ed0 0x280
config> ir ed0 10
config> iom ed0 0xd8000
config> f ed0 0
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
pccard: card removed, slot 0
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
ed1: at port ........ irq 11 slot 0 on pccard0
ed1: address ..........., type NE2000 (16bit)
ed1: device timeout
ed1: device timeout

I wonder what those commands in /boot/kernel.conf mean (config> strings in
dmesg)?

>less /etc/rc.conf | grep pccard
pccard_enable="yes"
pccard_ifconfig="DHCP"
pccard_mem="defalt"
pccardd_flags=" -i 3"

Have no idea, how to solve this problem :(