Time Problem in 5.0

Shantanu Mahajan shantanoo+fbsd at ieee.org
Sat Apr 26 10:32:19 PDT 2003

+++ David Kelly [freebsd] [25-04-03 16:15 -0500]:
| On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 12:18:13AM +0530, Shantanu Mahajan wrote:
| > |
| > | You really haven't provided anywhere near enough information for us to
| > | diagnose a failure with ntpdate.
| >
| > > sudo ntpdate 216.244.192.3
| > 26 Apr 00:14:08 ntpdate[717]: no server suitable for synchronization found
|
| So what is your problem with ntpdate? Clearly the problem is that
| 216.244.192.3 did not respond with an answer. Is your network actually
| up? Is 216.244.192.3 reachable? Is port 123 blocked in your firewall?

	Network is up. can ping 216.244.193.3. No firewall.
	All ports are open.

| Scrolling up thru this thread I see where Shantanu says he tried ntpdate
| in single user mode. Duh. Networking isn't brought up until the system
| goes multi. No network, no network time. Altho being up to process 717
| in single user is unusual.

	I tried the following command in single mode

	# date;sleep 1;date

| As for the output of sleep(1), his date(1) is rounded down to 1 second
| in display so if the first date is at 16.9 seconds and a 1 second sleep
| later might very well be at 18.0 and appear to be 2 seconds later.
|
| Sleep is only an approximate in any case. I remember documentation on
| other Unix systems stating a "sleep 1" might return immediately. So it
| was common to use a "sleep 2" if you wanted to hope for at least a 1
| second delay.

	for sleep 1, I am getting 2 sec delay.

| --
| David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at hiwaay.net
| The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
| capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

	Regards,
	Shantanu

--
An age is called Dark not because the light fails to shine,
but because people refuse to see it.