Time Problem in 5.0

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 25 14:16:11 PDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 12:18:13AM +0530, Shantanu Mahajan wrote:

> | You really haven't provided anywhere near enough information for us to
> | diagnose a failure with ntpdate.
>
> > sudo ntpdate 216.244.192.3
> 26 Apr 00:14:08 ntpdate[717]: no server suitable for synchronization found

So what is your problem with ntpdate? Clearly the problem is that
216.244.192.3 did not respond with an answer. Is your network actually
up? Is 216.244.192.3 reachable? Is port 123 blocked in your firewall?

Scrolling up thru this thread I see where Shantanu says he tried ntpdate
in single user mode. Duh. Networking isn't brought up until the system
goes multi. No network, no network time. Altho being up to process 717
in single user is unusual.

As for the output of sleep(1), his date(1) is rounded down to 1 second
in display so if the first date is at 16.9 seconds and a 1 second sleep
later might very well be at 18.0 and appear to be 2 seconds later.

Sleep is only an approximate in any case. I remember documentation on
other Unix systems stating a "sleep 1" might return immediately. So it
was common to use a "sleep 2" if you wanted to hope for at least a 1
second delay.

David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at hiwaay.net