disk hard error - help!

David Banning david at skytracker.ca
Wed Apr 23 23:30:17 PDT 2003

> different).
>
> Is there any way to force it to mount anyway and pick through the
> wreckage?
>
> Does anyone know of any good data recovery services that deal with FreeBSD?
> (or does anyone that does UFS work)

Try booting from the cdrom and going into disk repair mode. I have
been able to salvage that way several times. If you don't have the
cdrom's I think there is a floppy boot image available on the site
that you can use for disk repair.

You just boot off the cdrom or floppy, and then you mount the root
part of the drive, fixing any errors. Then you (hopefully can reboot
from your main drive.